This DIY hair mask packs both moisture and protein into one treatment! Best part is, all the ingredients are probably in your kitchen right now.
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil (or any oil you prefer)
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp. Honey
How to Do It:
Blend everything together using an emulsion blender or regular mixer until smooth. You can even use your everyday smoothie blender. The consistency should feel like conditioner (very smooth and not chunky) when done. Apply the hair mask to dry hair and cover with a shower cap. Wait 20 minutes. Then shower with shampoo and conditioner like normal. Don't skimp on the conditioner, as it's important to follow-up every protein treatment with a moisturizing conditioner or else you'll end up with straw-like strands.
We love this hair mask because it's completely chemical-free and uses the power of nature to harness your hair's best health. It's also a great way to use old avocados or eggs before they go bad. As our mother's used to say, waste not - want not.
Why this works:
- Avocado - Full of vitamins A, D, E, and B6 along with magnesium, amino acid, folic acid, copper and iron. When applied to hair the monounsaturated fats can strengthen, moisturized, and nourish hair strands.
- Olive Oil - Locks in moisture to both the hair shaft and scalp. Can also be helpful for those dealing with dandruff.
- Egg - Lecithin is a fatty protein found in the egg yolk that can reduce frizz and helps make hair smooth. Fatty acids in the yolk nourish the scalp and fight against dandruff or scalp conditions.
- Honey - A humectant that helps regulate and retain moisture in hair. It is also said to strengthen hair follicles for hair growth.